The twinning of Godalming with Mayen dates from April 1982 and followed on from that of their respective Districts, Waverley and Mayen-Koblenz.
Lying some 60 miles south of Cologne and 20 miles west of Koblenz, Mayen is in the midst of typical rolling Eifel countryside, with its wide areas of cultivated land, divided into narrow strips of crops, interspersed with rich woodlands.
The town itself was granted its charter by Rudolf von Habsburg in 1291, though its history goes back to Roman times when basalt mining was an important local industry which continued to the present century. Nowadays only light industry is carried out, the principal one being paper making. Its ancient castle overlooks a large pedestrianised market square and narrow side streets lined with bustling shops and cafes to satisfy its 20,000 population and many visitors.
The Godalming-Mayen Association encourages and facilitates exchange visits between individuals and organisations.
Visit their website www.mayen.de