Many parts of England have three tiers of local government:
- County Councils (e.g. Surrey County Council)
- District, Borough or City councils (e.g. Waverley Borough Council)
- Parish, Community and Town Councils (e.g. Godalming Town Council)
These are responsible for services across the whole of a county, like:
- fire and public safety
- social care
- waste management
- trading standards
If you live in Godalming then your County Council is Surrey County Council.
DISTRICT, BOROUGH & CITY COUNCILS
These cover a smaller area than county councils. They’re usually responsible for services like:
- rubbish collection
- Council Tax collections
- planning applications
If you live in Godalming then your Borough Council is Waverley Borough Council.
PARISH, COMMUNITY & TOWN COUNCIL
These operate at a level below District and Borough councils.
They can help on a number of local issues, like providing:
- community centres
- grants to help local organisations
- consultation on neighbourhood planning
If you live in Godalming and have a GU7 postcode then your parish council is Godalming Town Council – that’s us!