County, Borough, Parish Councils


Many parts of England have three tiers of local government:

  • County Councils (e.g. Surrey County Council)
  • District, Borough or City councils (e.g. Waverley Borough Council)
  • Parish, Community and Town Councils (e.g. Godalming Town Council)

County Councils

These are responsible for services across the whole of a county, like:

  • education
  • transport
  • planning
  • fire and public safety
  • social care
  • libraries
  • waste management
  • trading standards

If you live in Godalming then your County Council is Surrey County Council.

District, Borough & City Councils

These cover a smaller area than county councils. They’re usually responsible for services like:

  • rubbish collection
  • recycling
  • Council Tax collections
  • housing
  • planning applications

If you live in Godalming then your Borough Council is Waverley Borough Council.

Parish, Community & Town Councils

These operate at a level below District and Borough councils.

They can help on a number of local issues, like providing:

If you live in Godalming and have a GU7 postcode then your parish council is Godalming Town Council – that’s us!

A more comprehensive list of services and who is responsible for them locally can be found by clicking here.